Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Laws of Attraction?

I’ve been thinking lately about what makes us, the collective group of people here, fall in like/love with someone.

I know there is a chemical reaction, and a biology thing going on, but is there more? Is it as simple as a look, a touch, or a smell? What is it about that other person that we go from being, “yeah you’re a guy/girl” to “you’re a really cute, good looking guy/girl, and I’d like to get to know you better.”

I know in the human sexuality class I took in college, we discussed the scientific aspects of sex (get your minds out of the gutter), but smell kept coming up. I know that there are certain people that you get close to and you want to be near them because they smell good. And I’m not talking their perfume/cologne here, ‘cause I am not talking about artificial smell.

Could it be a look? That one glance to your right and you’re hooked? If so, what is it about that quick glance – overall appearance, face, hair, hands, legs? Is it that you would feel like you could have that perfect fit if they held you close? Is it the sincere look in the eyes? Or, the sense of (for the heterosexual women here) feeling very feminine around a man that is clearly taller than you, and that being close to him would make you feel safe and secure? The fact that when they catch you looking, you flush, look a way and look back only to have them smile, and you know you’re hooked.

How about touch? I’ve read that a woman’s skin is more sensitive than a man’s, so maybe that’s it. That light touch that raise the Goosebumps, sends a chill down your spine and makes you feel flushed. Could it instead of being a physical touch, be the knowledge that they are watching you, and though it makes you squirm, it also brings up a new awareness as to the fact that they have taken an interest in you?

There also is the cerebral idea, that smarts attract smarts. I’m not saying that’s true or not, but it’s an interesting idea.

No comments: